Home > Yangtze Cruise > Yangtze River > Wushan


Ask Question
  • Tour in Three Little Gorges
    Tour in Three Little Gorges
  • Wu Gorge, Yangtze River
    Wu Gorge, Yangtze River
  • Map of Three Gorges Hydropower Project
    Map of Three Gorges Hydropower Project
1 2 3

Phone Code: 023
Postal Code: 404700
Area: 2,958 square kilometers (1,142 square miles)
Population: 624,000 (2007 statistics)
Nationalities: Han, Tujia, Hui, Miao
Neighboring Areas: Badong County, Fengjie County, Wuxi County, and Jianshi County in Hubei Province
Location: Wushan county is located in the northeast part of Chongqing, and has long been regarded as the eastern gate of Chongqing. The county lies where the Daning River merges into the Yangtze River. Cruising upstream along the Yangtze River from the county for 480 km (298 miles), you will reach Chongqing City. The famous Three Gorges Dam is located 124 km (77 miles) away from the county on the Yangtze River.

 Physical Features: It is named after Mt. Wushan which stretches for 40 km (24.8 miles) from Wushan county in Sichuan province to Badong county in Hubei province. Additionally, Daba Mountain and Qiyao Mountain meet Mt. Wushan in the county, so 96% of the area is covered with mountains, and the remaining 4% is either hilly or flat. The Yangtze River flows through the county, so valleys and gorges can be found in the region.

 History: It has a long history. The Wushan Men Site found on Dragon Bone Slope (Long Gu Po) can be traced back 2,040,000 years, making the Wushan Men one of Asia’s early primitive humans. The Daxi Cultural Site discovered there is an excellent representation of Neolithic culture, which has a history of over 5,000 years. During the Warring States Period (476 BC - 221 BC), the area was named Wu County and belonged to the Shu Kingdom. In 583, during the Sui Dynasty (581 - 618), it was renamed Wushan County.

 Attractions: Located between mountains and the Yangtze River, the county is endowed with beautiful natural scenery, such as the Twelve Peaks of Mt. Wushan, Wu Gorge, and Three Little Gorges. The county, with a history of over 2 million years, is also well known for its ancient sites, including the Wushan Men Ancient Site, the Daxi Cultural Sites, and Dachang Ancient Town. Dachang Town located near the Three Little Gorges, is an ancient town with 1,700 years of history. It is a pocket-size town which only takes up an area of 10 hectares (24.7 acres). The main street, which goes from east to west, is only 350 meters (383 yards) long.

 Weather: the county belongs to the subtropical monsoon humid climatic zone and has a mild climate and sufficient rainfall. The annual temperature averages 18.4°C (65.1°F), and the yearly precipitation is 1,041 mm.

Visitors going there should go to Chongqing first and then travel there in one of the following ways: 
 Take a coach from Chongqing Chaotianmen Long-distance Bus Station to the county. The bus trip takes 4 hours, and the bus fare is around CNY 200.
 Take the ferry from Chongqing Chaotianmen Ferry Terminal for an 18-hour-ride there.
 Visitors can also take a long-distance bus from Chongqing Chaotianmen Long-distance Bus Station or Longtousi Long-distance Bus Station to Wanzhou Ferry Terminal, and then a fast ship there. It takes 6 to 7 hours on the way.

 Dining and Shopping: 
Snow Date Cake, Yunwu Tea, preserved meat, New Hall Navel Orange, and Feicui bean jelly are popular local snacks. When visiting Dachang Ancient Town, we recommend that you have a taste of Wushan Tea served in a Big Bowl, which is reputed to relieve summer heat and build up your body. Another famous snack in Dachang Ancient Town is Longshui Tofu Pudding.

Codonopsis (a flowering plant used in traditional Chinese medicine), wild mushroom, fungus, and Wushan tea are famous local specialties. Big shopping malls, chain stores, supermarkets, and stores selling local products are mostly located on Guangdong Middle Road. Restaurants for local food can also be found there.

 More Yangtze River Attractions
Chongqing → Fuling → Fengdu → Precious Stone Fortress (Shibaozhai) → Wanzhou → Yunyang 
Fengjie → Qutang Gorge → Wushan → Wu Gorge → Zigui → Xiling Gorge → Yichang  

Questions & Answers on Wushan
  • Hi, In August I'll visit China and I'd like to see three little Gorges. I don't want make a cruise but only one excursion of 1 day. In my mind I want to take a bus from Chongquing to Wushan and than make an excursion from here. Do you think that is possible? Are in Wushan hotels where sleep?
    The day after I'd like to take a flight to reach Guilin, Which is for you the best solution?

    Asked By Marco (Italy) | Mar. 11, 2014 02:41
    1 AnswerAnswer Question
  • When is the earliest cruise on Danning river and can i make it to Badong for another excursion on Shennong river in one day?

    Asked By ko (Honduras) | Apr. 26, 2013 00:00
    1 AnswerAnswer Question
Ask a Question about Wushan
Back Go Top